- Senior Fulbright Scholar, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA, January – December 1995
- Ford Foundation Ph.D. Research Grant, 1980- 1981
- Canadian University Ph.D. Grant, Dalhousie University Ph.D. scholarship: October 1975- October 1978
- Canadian University MA Grant, McMaster University MA Program scholarship: September 1974- September 1975
- Government of Kenya BA program Scholarship, University of Nairobi, September 1971- July 1974
PRESIDENTIAL PUBLIC SERVICE AWARD
- Elder of the Burning Spear(EBS) A Presidential Award in Recognition of Outstanding Service to Kenya, 2018 - Present
- Moran of the Burning Spear (MBS) – A Presidential Award in Recognition of Outstanding Service to Kenya, 2005 - Present
Department of Diplomacy & International Studies,
University of Nairobi, Box 30197-00100, Nairobi.
Journal Articles in refereed journals:
- Prof. Maria Nzomo, M and Zerubabel Tefera, Challenges and Prospects of Regional Energy Integration in Africa: The Governance Factor (forthcoming, 2021)
- Nzomo, M and Zerubabel GT, “Regional Energy Integration for Sustainable Development in Eastern Africa: The Case for Geothermal Energy”, (forthcoming, 2021)
- Nzomo, M, “Retreat to Nationalism in the 21st Century Globalization: Lessons for Africa,” Paper presented at an IDIS International Webinar, Conference, July16, 2020.
- Nzomo, M.(2020)”Role of Governance and Leadership in Regional Integration in Africa: The Big Elephant in the Room”, Forthcoming , Third World Quarterly,2021
- Nzomo, M & Maluki, P. (2020). India-Africa Political Relations: Issues and Perspectives on Global Political Dialogue, Democracy and Good Governance. forthcoming
- “Countering International Terrorism in Africa: The Gender Factor” (2018) IDIS Journal of International Studies and Diplomacy (IDIS-J) vol.1. No.1, June, pp. 7-35.
Book Chapters in Refereed Books
- “Gender and Governance in Kenya: Women’s Journey beyond Numbers” in, Kabira, W.M.et.al. (eds.)Changing the Mainstream: Celebrating Women’s Resilience, Center for African Women Studies, 2019
- “Leadership and Statecraft in African Foreign Policy and Diplomatic engagements”, in, Adar, K.G. et.al. (eds.), African Foreign Policy, Diplomacy and Leadership, Colourprint Ltd, Nairobi, 2016. Pgs. 99-117
- “Rethinking African Security: A feminist perspective”, in, Munene, M. & Ojielo, O. (eds.), The Study of Peace & Security in Africa, Nairobi: Sapphire logistics & UNDP, 2014, Pgs. 57-69
- “Academic Freedom and Democratic Space in Kenya”, Nyong’o, D. (ed.), Higher Education & Political Leadership in Kenya: Towards Good Governance and peace in a Democratic Society, Nairobi: 7th Sense Communication Ltd, 2015, Pgs. 54-74
- “Civil Society in the Kenyan Political Transition: 1990-2002,” in, Oyugi and Wanyande (eds), The Politics of Transition in Kenya: From KANU TO NARC, Nairobi: HBF, 2003, Pgs. 180-211.
- M. Nzomo (ed.) Responding to International Terrorism & Violent Extremism in Africa. Forthcoming, 2018
- M. Nzomo (ed.) Women in Politics: Challenges of Democratic Transition in Kenya. Heinrich Boll Foundation, 2003.
- M. Nzomo & Ruth. N. Kibiti, Wearing Gender Responsive Media Lenses. Birds Printer, 2002.
- M. Nzomo, The Gender Dimension of Electoral Politics in Kenya: Capacity-Building of Women Candidates for 1997 and Beyond. NCSW and Type Design Ltd., Nairobi, 1997.
- M. Nzomo (ed.) Women Candidates in Kenyan Electoral Politics. NCSW, Type Design Ltd, Nairobi, 1997.
- M. Nzomo, Women in Top Management in Kenya. AAPAM, Nairobi, 1997
Journal Articles in non- refereed journals:
- “Women’s Journey in Political Leadership: The Last Ten Decades”, Visionary Woman, Nairobi: Heinrich Boll Foundation, March 2011
- “Beyond the 2002 General Elections in Kenya: Women’s Performance and Prospects in Parliamentary Politics” Wajibu, Vol. 18, No. 1-2, May-July 2003.
- “From the Women's Decade to Multi-Party Era: Women's Political Participation in Kenya”, in L. Klempt (ed.) Women Shaping Democratic Change, Friedrich Ebert Foundation. Bonn 1992.
- “Beyond the Women's Decade: Women's Political Participation in Kenya”. WAJIBU Vol. 7 No. 4, (1992).